About Jonathan D. Schmidt
Jonathan D. Schmidt practices with Nazette, Marner, Nathanson & Shea in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He focuses on family law, criminal defense, business law, and personal injury.
He is licensed to practice by the Iowa Supreme Court, and he has been admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Iowa and the Southern District of Ohio. He is a member of the Iowa State Bar Association and the Linn County Bar Association. He is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and a Life Fellow of the Iowa State Bar Foundation.
Jonathan’s career has been marked by distinguished recognition from clients and peers alike:
- He is a member of MENSA, an organization that is open only to those who score in the top two percent of the general population on an intelligence test.
- In 2017, he was selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers, an honor awarded to only 2.5 percent of Iowa lawyers.
- He was rated “Distinguished” in 2016 and 2017 by Martindale-Hubbell, the world’s premier international lawyer directory, based on peer review ratings.
- He was rated 10/10 (“Superb”) in both 2016 and 2017 by Avvo, a legal rating service that evaluates 97 percent of the nation’s lawyers.
- Since 2014 he has been serving on the Board of Governors of the Iowa State Bar Association. He is also the current chair of the Law Practice Management Committee.
- He was named one of America’s Most Honored Professionals for 2016 and 2017 by the American Registry, a nationwide professional rating service.
My Practice Philosophy
My clients are not just case numbers to me. I usually see people at the low point in their lives, and I consider it my mission to guide and reassure the people I represent with concern, compassion, and aggressive representation. I will treat your problem as if it was my own problem, and I will protect your interests as if they were my own.
I wouldn’t be doing you any favors, however, by telling you what you want to hear at the expense of what you need to hear. I will always shoot straight with you — I will not “blow sunshine at you” to pump up your expectations to line my own pockets.
I am very honored when a prospective client is comfortable enough to open up and allow me to serve them. I will treat your case as a problem to solve for you as quickly, painlessly, and inexpensively as possible. I am also gifted with exceptional abilities in technology, which frequently help me to evaluate cases, evidence, and discovery in ways that other attorneys cannot.
Compromise vs. Confrontation
In most cases, there are two possible roads to travel — compromise or confrontation. This reality applies across a broad spectrum of legal fields. In a personal injury case, the choice may be to sue or settle; in a criminal prosecution, the choice might be to seek an acquittal or to accept a plea bargain; while in family law, a divorce can be contentious or amicable.
Most of the time, compromise is in the best interests of my client (except in some criminal cases), and as a consequence, I am well-versed in the art of negotiation. In some cases, however, the opposing party leaves my client and I with no choice but to fight – and when it comes time for combat, I am ready and able to do battle. Nobody messes with my clients.
If you live or work in the Cedar Rapids area (or anywhere in Eastern Iowa), or if your problem arose here, feel free to contact me online, or call my office at (319) 774-6078.